Junior Academy – Our Essential Skills Development Program (ESDP)
This is an introductory program that will look to assess and improve the current passing skills and decision-making of the players involved. All sessions are delivered by current top-level provincial and national level players and coaches.
The program focuses on the introduction, assessment and refinement of core passing skills and decision-making under pressure. This program will definitely improve your son/daughter’s understanding of the technical nature of Skill Acquisition and mechanics of consistency and execution.
All sessions will be delivered by our talented Academy coaching staff as well as guest coach appearances from the National Level and Provincial Level programs.
The Strength Training Component of our program is delivered by fully qualified, and highly reputable strength coaches and features a safe and progressive strength training program that specifically addresses the physical needs of the young athletes and they develop the motor-ability and movement skills required as they get older. Emphasis is placed on the core muscles, posterior-chain, and biomechanical development of the young player. All lifts will be taught through safe, monitored progressions.
Our program includes:
- STRENGTH TRAINING
- For the first eight weeks, athletes participate in one weekly Speed and Strength training sessions.
- For the second phase of the program (12 weeks), athletes participate in two weekly Speed and Strength training sessions.
- Training is provided by highly reputable and knowledgeable coaches, each of whom bring their own impressive résumé of high-performance strength training and conditioning.
- SKILL DEVELOPMENT
- Up to 20 weeks of Advanced Skills Training that utilizes the latest technology to provide concise, accurate feedback for each athlete;
- Athletes participate in two weekly Skills Development sessions with some of the country’s best skill assessment and development coaches.
- TACTICAL DEVELOPMENT
- In addition to the on-going tactical sessions that athletes experience in their weekly Skills Sessions, they also benefit from 12 weeks of tactical experience in game situations through our Indoor Touch Rugby League;
- ATHLETE HEALTH AND WELLNESS
- Functional Motor Screening and consistent monitoring of our athletes progress from a medical and physiological perspective;
- Weekly Yoga or Pilates classes in order to increase range of motion amongst our athletes, strengthen their core and minimize the risk of injury;
- Four-Part Nutrition Seminar
- Two-Part Sport Psych and Performance Visualization Seminar
This is the only program of its nature in Canada and is guaranteed to improve the performance, skills and knowledge of your son/daughter.
The program takes place twice a week in the evenings starting in late October and will run for the eight weeks prior to the Holidays and then the twelve weeks post-holidays until the end of March.
Program options include:
- Pre-Season ONLY (twelve weeks post-Holidays)
- Skills ONLY (no Strength and Conditioning)
Program Coordinator: Tyler Leggatt (Lead Director, Upright Rugby Canada) Lead Instructor(s) Shaun Allen: Current McMaster Women’s Varisty Coach; former Ontario U19 Blues Head Coach (2010-13) Mark Smerdon: Assistant Coach Ontario U18 Jr Blues; Asst Coach, Streetsville SS (OFSAA Gold Medal Champion 2012)