Core Skills Development Program
This is an introductory program for those kids between 12 and 18 that are new to the sport of rugby (one year or less experience). The program is specifically designed to provide a highly-effective introductory curriculum in order to improve the passing skills and decision-making of the players involved. All sessions are delivered by current top-level provincial and national level players and coaches.
Sessions focus on Core Skill Development as it applies to the game of rugby as well as game play and understanding. These include:
- Evasive Running
- Tracking and Defensive Roles
- Attack and Basic Game Play
Our program includes:
- TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT
- Athletes participate one day a week
- Options include 8 or 16 weeks of Advanced Skills Training
- We utilize the latest technology to provide concise, accurate feedback for each athlete;
- Athletes participate in 75min weekly Skills Development sessions with some of the country’s best skill assessment and development coaches.
- TACTICAL DEVELOPMENT
- In addition to the on-going technical sessions that athletes experience in their weekly Skills Sessions, they also benefit from consistent game-play in order to best facilitate effective decision-making practices
Emphasis is placed on the strength through range of motion, the core muscles, as well as posterior-chain, and biomechanical development of the young player.
- Athletes participate in weekly yoga classes in designed to increase range of motion while strengthening core and stabilizing muscles
- Overall approach works to reduce injury as athletes increase their strength through range of motion and is common practice amongst top sports programs across the globe.
This is the only program of its nature in Canada and is guaranteed to improve the performance, skills and knowledge of your son/daughter.
The program takes place twice a week in the evenings starting in late October and will run for the eight weeks prior to the Holidays and then the twelve weeks post-holidays until the end of March.
Program options include:
- Full Player Development Program: 20 weeks total off-season program (Oct to Mar)
- Intensive Pre-Season Prep Program 10 weeks post-Holidays (Jan to Mar)
Program Coordinator: Tyler Leggatt (Lead Director, Upright Rugby Canada)
Lead Instructor(s):Current Junior National Team players and Upright Academy Staff