Colts Academy – The U12 Introductory Skills Development Program
This is an introductory program for kids between the ages of 10 and 12 that is designed to provide an effective introductory curriculum in order to improve the passing skills and decision-making of the players involved. All sessions are delivered by current top-level provincial and national level players and coaches.
Sessions focus on Core Skill Development as it applies to the game of rugby as well as game play and understanding. These include:
- Evasive Running
- Tracking and Defensive Roles
- Attack and Basic Game Play
The program also provides an introduction to strength and conditioning that establishes an effective foundation for those that want to pursue more training in the future. Only ONE S&C session will be delivered for the first eight weeks; while TWO will be delivered in the second 12 weeks.
The Strength Training Component of our program is delivered by fully qualified, and highly reputable strength coaches and features a safe and progressive strength training program that specifically addresses the physical needs of the young athletes and they develop the motor-ability and movement skills required as they get older.
Emphasis is placed on the strength through range of motion, the core muscles, as well as posterior-chain, and biomechanical development of the young player.
Our program includes:
- STRENGTH TRAINING
- For the first eight weeks, athletes participate in one weekly Speed and Strength training sessions.
- For the second phase of the program (12 weeks), athletes participate in two weekly Speed and Strength training sessions.
- Training is provided by highly reputable and knowledgeable coaches, each of whom bring their own impressive résumé of high-performance strength training and conditioning.
- SKILL DEVELOPMENT
- Up to 20 weeks of Advanced Skills Training that utilizes the latest technology to provide concise, accurate feedback for each athlete;
- Athletes participate in two weekly Skills Development sessions with some of the country’s best skill assessment and development coaches.
- TACTICAL DEVELOPMENT
- In addition to the on-going tactical sessions that athletes experience in their weekly Skills Sessions, they also benefit from 12 weeks of tactical experience in game situations through our Indoor Touch Rugby League;
This is the only program of its nature in Canada and is guaranteed to improve the performance, skills and knowledge of your son/daughter.
The program takes place twice a week in the evenings starting in late October and will run for the eight weeks prior to the Holidays and then the twelve weeks post-holidays until the end of March.
Program options include:
- Pre-Season ONLY (twelve weeks post-Holidays)
- Skills ONLY (no Strength and Conditioning)
Program Coordinator: Tyler Leggatt (Lead Director, Upright Rugby Canada) Lead Instructor(s) Chris Woodhead: Current McMaster Men’s Varsity Coach; former Canada U17 Player (2010) Steph Black: Current McMaster Women’s Varsity (captain); former Canada U20 Player (2012)